One of the most popular festivals in Gujarat, Rann Utsav 2016 in Rann of Kutch is a celebration of heritage, natural beauty, music and dance of the white sand desert, under the full moon. This three-day event in Gujarat amid exotic, world’s largest seasonal salt marshland allures tourists from all across. Art and craft, sumptuous food, thrilling activities, and breathtaking sights are the other highlights of this heritage carnival. The white land bursts with lots of colors. This Utsav in Kutch is an experience of a lifetime.
Dates of Rann Utsav: 1st November 2016 – 20th February 2017
History of Rann Utsav
Organized every year by the Gujarat Tourism Department, Rann Utsav promotes natural beauty and other important features of the stunning landscape of Kutch. During the full moon nights in the winter season, the white sand desert looks all the more mesmerizing. After understanding the importance and potential of this piece of land, Gujarat’s tourism department designed this festival to allure travelers from all around.
In the 2000s, this festival became a permanent event for 3 months during the winter season. The site of the event is Dhordo village in Kutch where tents are set-up for accommodating the visitors (Premium tents, Deluxe AC Swiss Tents, Non AC Swiss Tents, and Economy Non AC Swiss Tents). Heritage hotels of Gujarat are the other wonderful options of accommodation during the carnival. Rann Utsav has become a synonym of Gujarati festivities.
Multi-colored tents in the white sand, evening bonfire, and wonderful craft on display are important parts of the celebration of Rann Utsav, Gujarat. All amenities and facilities are provided to the visitors. Various activities and cultural programs are organized to keep the visitors engaged. The displayed art and craft items are worthy of being memorable souvenirs. Get your hands on folk textiles, superb embroidery, Bandhani saris, traditional ornaments and mirror work craft items.
Camel safaris and performances by local folk artists are the other highlights. Do not miss savoring lip-smacking delicacies of varied cuisines from all across the country and the globe. There are other activities too. The Rann Utsav Fair spreads in a gigantic space of 5, 00,000 sq. meters. Enjoy the warm hospitality of friendly Kutchi people.
Activities at Rann Utsav
- Para Motoring (fly high in the sky like a bird to enjoy wonderful city views)
- ATV (As you ride across the Kutch desert, enjoy the brush of air past your face)
- Rifle Shooting (Hone your hunting skills for the battle grounds)
- Star Gazing (As you sit on the white sands, admire the star-lit night sky)
- Pool (Play a game of pool with your loved ones)
- Archery (Learn this wonderful skill of hitting the bull’s eye)
- Chess (Reviving yourself with mind games at the leisure club)
- Trikke (An enjoyable ride on a three- wheeled scooter-like street machine)
- Bungee Run Basketball (Try your hand at this different kind of basketball game where you wear a harness that attached is to a bungee rope on a pitch)
Amenities at Rann Utsav
- Club House (Offering several indoor games)
- Spa (Rejuvenating massages and therapies)
- Conference & Meditation Hall (Well-equipped conference facility)
- Kids Entertainment Zone (Entertainment and games for kids)
- Cafeteria (Serving refreshments and beverages)
- Golf cart (Carts to take you from one area to another for exploring the tent city)
Key Facts of Rann Utsav
- The event receives as many as 2, 00,000 visitors from around 20 countries.
- Covering an area of 5, 00,000 square meters, there are around 350 tents in 9 groups.
- 15000 tons of material is used for building this tent city and the time taken is around 60 days.
- Aina Mahal
- Kala Dungar
- Vijay Vilas Palace
- Mandvi Beach
- Swaminarayan Temple
- Shyamji Krishna Varma Memorial
How to Reach
The nearest airport to reach Dhordo, the main site of Rann Utsav is Bhuj airport. This airport is well-connected to all the important destinations of India. The nearest international airport is Ahmedabad International Airport. Rent a taxi or an auto to go to the festival site.
Bhuj railway station is the nearest railway station. This railhead is well- connected with the important cities of the state and the country. Hire a taxi or get into an auto to arrive at the Kutch festival.
Kutch is well- connected to nearby places via Bhuj, which acts like the gateway this white sand desert. Reaching Kutch by road is a memorable experience. Savor the wonderful views of landscape and traditional villages. State-owned buses and rental cabs are available. Self-drive is the other option.